Saturday, July 5, 2014

La Casa de Clark

La Casa de Clark
A big part of my first month after moving to Honduras has been spent in finding, furnishing and getting everything going to have a place to live. This has been a different experience for me, while serving in Haiti I lived on the campus, within the walls of the mission itself. While this made the transition to Haiti much more convenient and allowed me to be much more readily available whenever problems arose at the mission, the flipside to that was that I never truly felt like I had a home, a place to call my own.

Soon after I arrived here, I spent some time with Oscar looking at some houses that he had already scouted out for me. As soon as I saw this little house I knew it was the one. It was plenty big enough for me, clean, secure, on a nice quiet street and best of all, fit within my budget! Soon thereafter I met with the owner of the house, signed a 1 year contract, and I had myself a home!

The next step was to start trying to find all of the necessary stuff needed to create a household, made just a little more difficult for me in that:

1.     My Spanish isn’t very good at all
2.     I don’t know where anything is here
3.     No vehicle to get where I needed to go (even if I knew where it was)

American & Honduran style clothes washing facilities :-)
But, thanks to my wonderful friends Jana, Oscar & Felipe I was able to not only get what I needed to start furnishing my house, but also was able to take care of the other needed stuff (such as opening bank accounts, setting up internet for my house, buying a sim card for my phone so I could use it here, etc.). The only thing missing was actual furniture, which the mission was kind enough to let me borrow until I can buy my own stuff. Fortunately I have been able to pick up a few pieces of furniture from a friend of mine, Laurie Matherne, who is leaving Honduras after several years serving here and is heading home to the states. A full size bed, a nice set of wicker chairs for the living room, a small table (just the right size for my house) and in a few weeks, a stove! Not to mention a bunch of odds and ends that she has blessed me with. Her generosity has helped me make big strides in setting up house and settling in here, and I can’t possibly thank her and all my friends at the mission enough for what they have done to help me!
I also was able to borrow a sewing machine from the mission and was even able to sew drapes for all my windows! They may not be the straightest or the prettiest, but they definitely do the job!
So, now I am almost completely settled in, other than a few small things that I am keeping my eye out for here (or that I may bring back in when I am home in September for my niece, Paige’s wedding. Either way, I love my little home here and am excited to now be able to focus more on my calling, serving the ministry of His Eyes, the people of Honduras and the Kingdom of our amazing God!






(By the way, I do have a spare bedroom, just in case anyone would like to come visit sometime J )


No comments:

Post a Comment