Friday, May 3, 2013

Stevenson

One of my proudest accomplishments so far in my new role in the Kitchen is to hire this great young man, Stevenson as a helper for the new kitchen. Stevenson is a fantastic young man who lives down in the Miriam Center, whom I have come to know and love over the past year. Stevenson has an amazing spirit and love for the Lord, and he absolutely loves to work! He is always looking for odd jobs around campus in order to earn a little money, sometimes in order to buy a little food from outside the street, but more often than not he is saving for new shoes or clothes for church. I’ve even spoken to him a couple times on Sunday mornings, when he has been very sad because he couldn’t go to church. When asked why he couldn’t go, he hung his head and said he didn’t have enough money for offering. Talk about tearing your heart out!


I’ve helped him out a little with odd jobs when I could, but I’ve been wanting to find something a little more permanent, and when the central kitchen came along, I knew I wanted Stevenson involved. Even after I talked to the mission and they said there just wasn’t money in the budget, I still felt led to help provide a job for Stevenson, so I decided to hire him myself. I talked it over with Stephanie and Nahum, the leaders of the Miriam Center, and they agreed and helped me come up with a fair pay for his work. When I asked him if he wanted to work for me, Stevenson’s response was an enthusiastic “YES!” and a thumbs up.
Stevenson is now an official member of the kitchen staff, hauling trash, cleaning, washing pots and pans, carrying charcoal , whatever he can do to help, and he couldn’t be happier. (and neither could I, he is a super hard worker) Last month I was able to give him his first pay envelope with $600 Haitian (about $75 US), he smiled a huge smile, asked Nahum to hold his money for him until he needed it, then went back to work!

I consider it a true blessing to not only know and work beside this young man, but to be able to help provide for him and call him friend as well. I am truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment