Monday, January 30, 2012

At once they left their nets and followed Him…

“As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.  When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him.” ~ Mark 1:16-20 NIV

I’ve been thinking a lot about this particular verse the last several weeks. As I’m getting closer to my date to leave the states (I leave on March 30th) I find myself consumed with a lot of things that I need to get done before my internship starts. One of the things that I’ve been working on is trying to determine what I will need for my 7 month internship in Haiti. Over the past several years, I have packed for many a short term mission trip, but trying to plan for 7 months had me a little befuddled. Not only the personal items (Clothing, shampoo, etc.), but trying to plan the basic needs for my type of ministry, so that I will be able to hit the ground running in March. It’s all a little overwhelming. On top of that, in order to get anything I need to Haiti, I either have to carry it in when I fly in, or I need to get it up to the warehouse in Zionsville, so it can be loaded onto a container and start making its way to Haiti. I’ve actually already got a couple of boxes of supplies on their way, loaded in a container that left a couple weeks ago. I think that these supplies should get to the NWHCM campus about the same time I do, or a little before.

Anyway, as I’ve been planning and packing, I got to thinking about the great faith of the early disciples, who, when called by Jesus, immediately stopped what they were doing, left everything they had and everyone they knew, and followed Jesus. Can you imagine the tremendous faith that it must have taken to simply stand, leave everything behind and follow. I stand in awe of these simple men who answered His call and set forth to change the World. Even though thy were plagued with doubts and trials throughout their ministry, they still answered when called and they served God with all their lives.

I know God is calling me to serve in Haiti, and I’m very excited to see how God will use me for His glory. I have always wanted to serve, and I look forward to serving the people of Haiti, however He chooses to use me.

I would encourage everyone to put their Faith and Trust in God, to be still and listen for His guidance, and when called, to not question. Just Follow where He leads!

You will be blessed!
Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment